Information about Our Church
Welcome to this ancient church, one of the most historically important and interesting churches of South Yorkshire. It is built on the site of an older Saxon church, dating back to at least the 8th century. The church building reflects the development of a parish church for over twelve centuries and it bears witness to the faith it proclaims. The name of Darfield derives from Saxon times. The word ‘feld’ describes an area of pasture land and the term ‘dere’ describes the deer which were found in the area. ‘Derefeld’ later became ‘Darfield’.
The oldest part of the present building is the lower section of the tower which is Norman. The nave and chancel date to the 14th century, with the south aisle from the later 14th century. The upper part of the tower is 15th century, as is the north aisle and clergy vestry. There have been very few recent additions, the main one being a small extension, now used as choir vestry, in 1905. Restoration was carried out in the 20th century to correct mining subsidence damage. The new lighting system was installed in 2007.
The following information links are intended to be an introduction to the history of our church but also an aid to contemplate the purpose of the church.